He is here! "Little D" from the Big D!

ok, I promise the Story of how our son came to our family this past week!

   On Tuesday late afternoon, after a fun afternoon of ladies for lunch, Spencer got a phone call, at work, from LDS family services manager, Doug.  He wanted to conference call Spencer and me together to talk to us right away!  so they conferenced me in!  The day before, Monday the 25th of march, a baby boy was born in Downtown Detroit.  He birth mother was looking for a family to adopt him.  Doug listed of a number of this right...baby boy is healthy with good scores.  He was 6lbs.3oz. 18 inches long.  He was a good and healthy looking boy!  but, his birth mother was high on cocaine when she came into the hospital.  She admitted to using cocaine, heroine and marijuana and smoking cigarettes all through her pregnancy. The birth mother is also positive for Hep C.  The baby boy was born addicted to those drugs and he needs to stay in the hospital for a few weeks on morphine so that they can ween him slowly off!  He is going through withdrawls and shakes and is in some pain! I just broke down crying when I heard this.  That poor baby boy is in so much pain and I just wanted to be there to hold him! the birth mother is caucasin and she doesn't know who the birth father is.  Doug then asked us if this was a situation that we though we could handle.  Spencer said that he was going to come home right away and we would talk and pray about it then get back to him later that night or early the next morning.
   Spencer rushed home and we walked right upstairs to our bedroom, we had a chat about how we were feeling, and then we prayed, asking Heavenly Father if this was the right situation for our family.  We both felt  that nothing felt wrong.  We didn't have a strong feeling that he was our son, but that we should pursue the path of being presented to the birth mother for consideration.
    We immediately called Doug back and said that, Yes, we would be interested in being shown to the birth mother.  Doug told us that he would go down to the hospital first thing in the morning and present our profile to her.  he told us to go on with our daily lives, and he would call us in the afternoon!  That was a crazy day!
Spencer went to work, I went to work, Emma went to school.  I had arranged with our best friend Karen to pick up Emma from school, just in case we had to go downtown that afternoon.  that was a long day at work...I was shaking, i didn't eat the night before or all day this day.  At about 2:00, Doug called me.  He proceeded to tell me that late the night before, the birth mother, (her name is Brooke)  had had a heart attack!  Due to drug use.  So Wednsday morning, he was not able to go in to see her, as she was unconsious most the day.  Doug told me that he was going to have to wait one more day!
      Again, Thursday morning, Spencer went to work, I went to work and Emma went to school!  I waited all day for that phone call again.  Shaking and Butterflies!  I left work to go and pick up Emma.  Doug called me at 3:00, right as I was going to walk into the school to get Emma.   He told me that he was able to speak with Brooke and that she chose us to be the family for this little boy!  I was so excited, and shocked, I really don't remember everything that he said to me except that we could go to see him the next morning, Friday at 10:30 am!
    I immediately called Spencer in tears..."He is ours Spencer!"  He could barely talk, he was so emotional.  I ran in to get Emma from her class and I was so excited to tell her that she had a little brother!  (She had known that it was a possibility the 2 days before!)  She was so excited too!
    We didn't sleep this night either!  butterflies everywhere!
The next morning Emma went to school, ( They ask that the first time we meet the new baby that we don't bring our other children)  and Karen planned to pick her up.  Spencer and I left early to get there right on time!  The hospital is the Hutzel Women's Hospital in Downtown Detroit, MI.  35 mins away from home.  we met Doug in the waiting area at the front desk.  I was so nervous, excited, overwhelmed...and many more emotions!  we directed us upstairs to the Special Care Nursery.  We walked in and the had a scrub our hands.  The nurse walked to the sink with me to make sure I would be ok!  She said that I looked so nervous and shocked.  She wanted to be sure I was ok!
    We walked over to a little crib and there he was!  this perfect little boy!  Dark brown hair, with olive skin.
all 10 fingers and all 10 toes.  just the handsomest little stud! I was just so overwhelmed and I started to bawl!  He was so precious and so perfect! Doug sat with us as Spencer and I past him back and forth every 15 mins for 2-3 hours! then, Doug left telling us that Brooke wanted to meet with us the following Monday afternoon at the LDS family services agency office.  She just wanted to meet us to be sure that the baby boy would be cared for and loved.  Spencer and I stayed for a few more hours, just loving and snuggling this precious little boy!
    We left to go pick up Emma, get some dinner and head back down to the Hospital for his Big sister Emma to get to meet him!
   She was so excited!  The night before, we had gone to target to let her pick out a little stuffed animal for him and she had drawn him a picture of our family, which is still taped inside his crib!  She loved to hold hima and kiss his forehead!
     That next day we decided on his name after much much discussion!  We finally chose the name, Darrne Bryan Chamberlain!  He is named after two of his uncles.  Darren Chamberlain, Spencer's oldest brother who we look up to so very much in so many ways. Bryan Garrett is my sister's husband, who is also an amazing guy who we love so very much!  Both these uncles will be such great examples to him and he grows and he will look up to and love just as much! Emma has already nicknamed him, "Little D"  and it is sticking!


Over the weekend we got to go downtown as often as we wanted!  We went to just hold him and love him everyday!  Good new...he is doing much better now and will hopefully be able to come home either on Saturday the 6th of April, or that next Monday, just depending on the medicine he has to be on!  what an amazing Easter gift for our family!  He is amazing and we love him oh, so so so much!





                                         

 Tomorrow, I will post again about meeting the birth mother!


Comments

  1. We are so incredibly happy for your beautiful family. I love the name too. He is one lucky baby and there is no doubt that he will be one VERY loved stud. Love you guys! Congratulations. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so so so excited for you!!! YEAH!!! I can't wait to meet him and hold him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me cry! He is so beautiful Kristen..he looks like YOUR baby! Congratulations! It couldn't happen to a more deserving mama!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Spencer & Kristen

All About EMMA!!!